The Marstallmuseum is located in the historical ‘Riding Stables’ in the southern Cavaliers’ Building of Nymphenburg Palace. It was the grandest of the various stables and was also closest to the palace. This representative stable building was already largely complete under Max Emanuel. The most valuable horses were formerly kept here during the summer months. In the winter the princely horses and carriages were accommodated in the main stables and coach house on Marstallplatz near the Munich Residence.
The first Marstallmuseum was set up here as long ago as 1923 in the former court riding school. During the Second World War, the collection was transferred to Nymphenburg Palace and after the destruction of the extensive Marstall complex in the centre of Munich, the present Marstallmuseum was opened in 1952.
With over forty representative coaches, sleighs and riding accoutrements that belonged to the Wittelsbachs, the museum documents three hundred years of princely coach building and travel and riding culture. With its rich collection, the Marstallmuseum is one of the most important of its kind in the world.
The showpiece of the museum has long been the Coronation Coach of Emperor Karl VII, one of the most beautiful coaches in the French Rococo style. The 19th-century state vehicles of King Ludwig II are the high point of the many Wittelsbach gala coaches and sleighs on display. Magnificent harnesses, fine riding accoutrements and historical pictures bring the travel and representational culture of the court to life.
| top |